Smoking and your appearance
The ‘ugly’ facts about smoking and your looks
It’s not just your internal organs that are damaged by smoking – your looks can also suffer.
- Smoking dries the skin, leading to premature wrinkles.
- Squinting when irritating smoke passes the eyes and puckering your mouth when inhaling causes wrinkles around the eyes and mouth.
- People who smoke often have a grey, wasted appearance.
- Smoking can make you look 10–20 years older.
- Smokers are two or three times more likely than non-smokers to develop psoriasis, a chronic skin condition.
- Smoking discolours fingers and fingernails.
- Smoking damages blood vessels in the eyes, creating a bloodshot appearance.
- Smokers have stained teeth and gums and bad breath, no matter how much they brush, floss and visit their dentist.