The ‘ugly’ facts about smoking and your looks
It’s not just your internal organs that are damaged by smoking – your looks can also suffer.
- Smoking dries the skin, leading to premature wrinkles.
- Squinting when irritating smoke passes the eyes and puckering your mouth when inhaling causes wrinkles around the eyes and mouth.
- People who smoke often have a grey, wasted appearance.
- Smoking can make you look 10–20 years older.
- Smokers are two or three times more likely than non-smokers to develop psoriasis, a chronic skin condition.
- Smoking discolours fingers and fingernails.
- Smoking damages blood vessels in the eyes, creating a bloodshot appearance.
- Smokers have stained teeth and gums and bad breath, no matter how much they brush, floss and visit their dentist.
Click and drag the slider below to see the aging effects of smoking.